Blaine Elementary School
1420 W. Grace Street
Chicago, IL 60613
- Blaine is located at the corner of Southport Avenue and Grace Street, in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois.
- School hours: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
- Blaine is in City of Chicago School District 299.
Attendance Area Map
Blaine is a place where students feel competent, safe, supported, inspired and connected. They are empowered with the idea that they are responsible for their own learning and they continuously work to better themselves as a result. Staff members engage in a continuous cycle of research, collaboration, reflection and professional growth. They engage students in an appropriately challenging curriculum while using instructional strategies that give students a genuine opportunity to master the knowledge, skills, and essential understandings within and across the academic, technological, health and fine arts disciplines. Members of our school community come together with the best interest of our students as the driving force for our work.
Our mission is to build a safe and supportive community whose members work together each day to develop and advance our knowledge of our world, our knowledge of each other, and our ability to operate with skill and proficiency and integrity in our academic, professional, social and civic lives.
*Unity Through Teamwork
*Safety Through Respect
*Achievement Through Effort
The school was named in honor of James Gillespie Blaine (1830-1893), a politician who served as a U.S. Representative, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. Senator from Maine and two-time Secretary of State. He was nominated for president in 1884, but lost a close race to Democrat Grover Cleveland. Blaine was a magnetic, charismatic speaker in an era that prized oratory. What’s more, this well-respected leader supported President Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.
Important Facts & Achievements
In recent years, Blaine has achieved distinct recognition among Chicago Public Schools:
– Received a Level 1+ School Quality Rating which is the highest rating at CPS for 2016-2017
– Chicago Magazine ranked Blaine Elementary in the “Best Schools in Chicago & Suburbs list: #3 in 2016; #13 in 2012; #16 in 2010
– Blaine has earned the Academic Excellence Award in 2009, 2010 and 2011 from the Illinois State Board of Education.
– Blaine received an “A+” on the CPS internal grading system for 2009-2010 (Chicago Tribune, Sept. 10, 2010).
– On the NWEA MAP®† standardized test in Spring 2016, Blaine performed at the 99th percentile for reading and 97th percentile for math