Blaine Elementary School
1420 W. Grace Street
Chicago, IL 60613
- Blaine is located at the corner of Southport Avenue and Grace Street, in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois.
- School hours: 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
- Principal: Mr. LaRaviere
- Assistant Principal: Mr. Norcross
- Admistrative Staff: Mrs. S. Gustafson, Mrs. J. Berrios
- Blaine is in City of Chicago School District 299.
Attendance Area Map
Blaine is a place where students feel competent, safe, supported, inspired and connected. They are empowered with the idea that they are responsible for their own learning and they continuously work to better themselves as a result. Staff members engage in a continuous cycle of research, collaboration, reflection and professional growth. They engage students in an appropriately challenging curriculum while using instructional strategies that give students a genuine opportunity to master the knowledge, skills, and essential understandings within and across the academic, technological, health and fine arts disciplines. Members of our school community come together with the best interest of our students as the driving force for our work.
Our mission is to build a safe and supportive community whose members work together each day to develop and advance our knowledge of our world, our knowledge of each other, and our ability to operate with skill and proficiency and integrity in our academic, professional, social and civic lives.
*Unity Through Teamwork
*Safety Through Respect
*Achievement Through Effort
The school was named in honor of James Gillespie Blaine (1830-1893), a politician who served as a U.S. Representative, Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. Senator from Maine and two-time Secretary of State. He was nominated for president in 1884, but lost a close race to Democrat Grover Cleveland. Blaine was a magnetic, charismatic speaker in an era that prized oratory. What’s more, this well-respected leader supported President Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.
Important Facts & Achievements
- Blaine is classified as a Fine Arts Magnet school.
- To help support its programs, Blaine partners with the Chicago Community Trust, Chicago Cubs, Edelman Public Relations, Looking Glass Theater, Dance Art, the Field Museum, and the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum.
In recent years, Blaine has achieved distinct recognition among Chicago Public Schools:
- Chicago Magazine ranked Blaine Elementary #13 in “Best Schools in Chicago & Suburbs” 2012 list.
- Blaine has earned the Academic Excellence Award in 2009, 2010 and 2011 from the Illinois State Board of Education.
- Chicago Magazine ranked Blaine Elementary #16 in Top Elementary Schools in its October 2010 issue.
- Blaine received an “A+” on the CPS internal grading system for 2009-2010 (Chicago Tribune, Sept. 10, 2010).
- During the 2008-2009 school year, Blaine students achieved composite test scores of 94.6%.
- More than 90 percent of Blaine students meet or exceed the district average in the ISAT tests.