Part of what makes Blaine such a strong community is the consistent level of participation of parents and volunteers. There are many ways to get involved at Blaine, such as joining a parent group or a board.
Below are descriptions of the various parent groups and boards, along with a helpful chart to explain Friends of Blaine (FOB), Parent Teacher Association (PTA), Local School Council (LSC) and the Blaine Elementary Kindergarten Fund. Click here to see chart (pdf).
We conduct monthly public meetings, monitor the budget and facilities, vote on fundraising proposals and work closely with the administration to address any other issues and opportunities that arise.
- Members of this board include: six parents, two teachers, two community members, a career services member, and the school principal.
- Terms: Two years
- Elections: In April
- All meetings will be held in the school auditorium and start at 6:15 pm unless otherwise noted.
This not-for-profit 501(c)(3) board, founded in 2003, is comprised of parent volunteers charged with raising money to support high-quality educational and artistic programming for all the students at Blaine (K-8th).
- Members of this board include three to nine board members, including president, vice president(s), treasurer and secretary.
- Terms: Two years
- Elections: Held during first week of May
- For more information, visit FOB at: www.friendsofblaine.org
The PTA is a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for the education and well-being of every child.
- Members of this board include: president(s), vice president(s), membership coordinator, treasurer, legislation coordinator(s), recording secretary and communication secretary.
- Terms: All officers serve their terms for one year.
- Elections: Officers are elected to the executive board annually at a PTA General Meeting announced before end of May.
- Official duties commence on the day of election.
- A person cannot serve more than two consecutive terms in the same office.
- In order to be eligible for president, the nominee must have previously served in some capacity on the PTA board.
- For more information, visit PTA at: http://blainepta.weebly.com/
- Members of this board include: president, vice president, and secretary.
- Elections: At the beginning of every school year.
- Si desea hablar con un representante que hable español, por favor contacte: Bilingual Committee, Oficina Principal.
The K–Fund is a fundraising arm of Blaine that is run by parents with children entering kindergarten. The 501(c)3 was established to support the funding of additional kindergarten staff. With a student-teacher ratio of 28:1 – having the assistants is critical to the growth of our kids. The kindergarten assistants spend their time between the four kindergarten classes and work in smaller groups with the kids.
- Members of this board include: president(s), vice president(s), treasurer, web master, general members.
- Terms: One year.
- Elections: Officers are selected to the executive board annually before end of May.
- For more information, visit the KFund at http://www.blainekfund.weebly.com